- Free travel books with Lonely Planet Traveller magazine subscription!
- The perfect Mother's Day present for the traveller AND a great free gift!
- Lonely Planet Traveller finds Europe’s best city breaks
- Sunday Times Travel has us wanting to go to Turkey!
- Condé Nast Traveller visits Oman in the April issue
Asparagus now in season
Category: Lifestyle Magazine Subscriptions
Foodies with a love for asparagus may be glad to know the vegetable is in season this month.
It is Jamie Magazine's ingredient of the month for May and can be used in a variety of dishes.
According to the publication, asparagus has been valued not only for its taste but for its medicinal properties for centuries.
It featured in the earliest surviving book of recipes, which dates back to the third century and has been a favourite among a number of civilisations.
Low in calories and cholesterol, the high concentration of antioxidants and folic acid, as well as a number of vitamins and minerals make the tasty food a healthy treat.
The magazine recommends buying firm stalks with closed tips as the spears begin to lose their flavour soon after they are picked.
They taste great when steamed and eaten with olive oil and parmesan, but for more decadence serve with a hollandaise sauce or soft-boiled egg for dipping.
Jamie Oliver, whose name the magazine carries, has made his name though a number of culinary-based TV shows, such as the Naked Chef and Jamie's School Dinners.
Posted by Arabella Gibson
Are you an asparagus fan?